THe musical is over! It was a huge hit! I couldn't have asked for more! It totally consumed my life in the month of February so I have not posted or even had time to think. But I'll include some highlight photos at the end. The important thing right now is that it is finished and it was a success and people are talking about our school and our kids and how awesome we are. I think the tides are beginning to turn, which has been my goal from the start of the year. And now the program will begin to turn around and begin to grow and expand. That's all I want. Is enough kids to work with on a regular basis to make a successful choral program. In the next few weeks we will find out how that went because I'll be doing auditions for next year's choirs.
Anyway. AT the end of the final night's performance, the kids made an announcement from the stage and gave flowers to us 3 main directors, it was very sweet. It's nice to feel appreciated at the end of it all because we had so many difficulties and arguments along the way. But I knew in the end they would understand and they would appreciate what we have guided them to do. And they did. Got me teary eyed, but I didn't cry lol. All the parents were thrilled with the whole thing, and most of the town is talking about how well we did. So now, in the end, it was worth all the hassle, the time, the effort, the money, the struggle. But I will definitely be glad to get back to something that resembles a normal life. Being home at night. Cooking supper. being able to keep up with kids and what they're into. Brooke and Tanner were both really sad last night at the end. Tanner especially. THey had so much fun, and they say they made so many friends with the high school students and now they won't see them again. I noticed last night that the 2 of them had gone on Facebook and added a bunch of the high schoolers to their Facebook lol. I guess that's a good way for them to stay in touch with their "friends" lol. I was very proud of my high schoolers for being so good to Brooke and Tanner and making them feel welcome and "part of the crowd". All in all, the whole darn thing ended up being just a wonderful experience for everyone involved. The kids that I begged to be in the musical even though they've never been in choir and wouldn't even consider it....they told me last night that they were glad they did it and wished that I had come sooner so they could have been more involved in the choir and the musicals there. And they were all sad to see the musical end. It will probably be quite a let down for us all in the next couple of weeks, wondering what to do to fill that time now lol. But the other 2 directors and I are already fast at work planning for next year.......we're thinking "Little Shop of Horrors"! What a hoot that would be! lol
As it turned out, Tyler did not participate in that Church play he was going to do after all. He and Thomas had quit my play to do one for the church on that same weekend. It's the same play they did 2 years ago. I wasn't happy about it but I let him do whichever he wanted. But when he auditioned he ended up getting the same parts he had 2 years ago and he didn't want to do the same thing again. So he quit that play. I had already replaced him and Thomas with Brooke and Tanner as Thing 1 and Thing 2. So I put Tyler back on the stage crew with Blake. So he did end up being a part of it after all. I think he enjoyed it. I know I enjoyed having him and Blake on the stage crew because the 2 of them and one other girl were the only ones I could count on to be there and to get things right every time. Whew. Next year I'm choosing the stage crew FIRST.
During the week of the play, we were invited to 3 different elementary schools to come visit in our costumes. So we took Horton the Elephant, the Cat in the Hat, and numerous others to visit. THe little kids LOVED them. And it was a thrill to see how my big kids responded to the attention of the little ones. I think it meant a lot to both big and little kids. They performed for them, played with them, and we brought cake to some of them for Dr. Seuss's birthday. It was a really nice interaction, not to mention a really good P.R. thing for my group.
The week before the play we went to choir contest. That did not go so well. I have to wonder if I've tried so hard to provide them all with experiences and activities that they've been missing out on, that perhaps I haven't worked as hard on the basic rudimentary choral skills in class. They performed well, but we did not get all 1's. I guess it's not that big a deal. But it would have been awesome to go to contest and get all 1's this first year. But we didn't. That just makes next year's goal a bit easier I guess. The kids seemed ok with it, not all that affected. So I guess I won't take it too much to heart. Can't win 'em all I guess.
Now that it's all finished, I've gotta get back on a diet. The fast food for 2 months has not done me justice. And my house is a total WRECK. I have much to do. And we have that intercession week coming up after this week which will be a perfect time to collect my thoughts, regroup, and catch up on things. And, damnit, I'm going to read a book! It's nice to have finished something with success, and to be able to just sit back and chill in it all. lol
Anyway. I may end up having to post a link to a photo album somewhere. The photos just keep piling in and piling in. So many people took awesome photos. When I get them all uploaded somewhere I'll post a link. But for now, this is what I have. And I think the next time I post I will have resumed my life as usual and have more boring/interesting things to report. But for not this is it!
Monday, March 09, 2009
Back to life, back to reality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment