Friday, February 16, 2007

Valentines' Week

With Girl Scout cookies and Valentines' Day happening all in one week .... well, I've once again tested my willpower that I pride myself for having - and lost yet again. But to make up for it I ordered Dr. Gott's No Sugar No Flour diet book and I started that diet today. It's basically Atkins + fruit + more veggies + a calorie restriction. Time will tell.

One of my rules for my blog I made for myself when I started was that I would not whine and complain because nobody likes to read that stuff, only the good stuff is mildly interesting. So writing about this week is going to be difficult to do! lol.

We had band practice both Monday and Tuesday nights. It was a lot of fun but darned difficult, I was worn out by Wednesday and had dishes and laundry piled up to the ceiling. Monday night our drummer couldnt make it so we got Ken to fill in, which meant him having to drag out his whole drum set, etc. Man did we appreciate him doing that! And, bless his heart, he didn't know any of the music beforehand, he just had to show up and kinda play along. He's braver than me, no way I'd have done that lol. And he actually really did a good job too. Because band was cancelled (then un-cancelled at the last minute) I had made Tyler a haircut appointment with a hairdresser that's hard to get in to see. But it's the only guy that's ever done a good job on his hair as far as Tyler is concerned. So I could not cancel it, I grabbed mom in the final moments and asked if she would take him. Of course, she said she would. So she took him for the haircut, then took both of them to McDonald's, and was the hero of their night. So much so that on Tuesday night they wanted to go back to her house again and they did. This time she was armed with an arsenal of sausage corndogs, pizza rolls, and cookies. Can't beat grandma lol.

When teaching school, a phrase often comes to mind for me: "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug". 4 out of 5 days this week I was the bug and they got to be the windshield. Enough said on that. Grrrrr. But I will say I got maybe the 5th best "cussing" from a 6th grade kid I ever received. I had had enough of her and sent her to the office. As she was leaving she turned to me and said "Yo Mama!!!!!!"...........I laughed and said "What???? Did you REALLY just say to me 'Yo mama'????" It struck me as funny lol. She said "Yeah you need to shut up with yo' ol' ugly self!!!!" So I just said......."Honestly, is that the best you got????? That's what EVERYBODY says, I figured you'd at least get creative for me!!!!" But that was all she could say. It was aggravating, but I can rest with the fact that I did NOT get called fat and I did NOT get called "nappy-headed" (both of which I've been called in my past years). At least I have that much to be happy about lol.

We watched scary movies Wednesday and Thursday night. And both nights we ended up with every person in the house piled up in one bed to sleep. (Don't tell the kids I told...)

I was craving cole slaw so I bought some chopped cabbage and coleslaw mix and made the nastiest slaw I ever tasted. Then I took out the church cookbook and found (of course) Mamaw Gin's KFC coleslaw recipe and made that and OH! I've hit the big time now - it really does taste like KFC. I can't wait to make it for some get together some time and I'm not sharing the recipe.

Got to work Tuesday and we had no power (30 degrees outside). And they said we had to have school anyway, and the power would be back on in a few HOURS. But I said I wasn't gonna go on about being the "bug" this week....


Last weekend Tyler washed both cars. He backed them out and into the yard and stuff. It's so strange to see him in a vehicle DRIVING. I don't like how fast things are moving these days. Here he is, in case you're having trouble getting a mental picture of him DRIVING.















I did a Valentines' Day program Wednesday with my 2nd graders (adding to me being the "bug" this week...). We were videotaped to be put on the local cable access channel, but I have not seen us on there yet. Because I was directing the program I forgot about pictures til the whole thing was over, so all I got was this picture of them at the end.


Tyler got caught texting in class Monday and the teacher took up his cell phone. Customarily the parent has to go down to the school to get it. I told him to ask her to PLEASE just give it back because I didn't know when I could get there. When he asked her, she was gonna do it but it was GONE. Someone stole it out of her desk. So we are without a cell phone AGAIN. She called me to explain and says she will pay for him a new one. I don't know if I have the heart to make her pay for one, knowing how much a NEW one will cost. SHe is one of the only teachers Tyler has ever liked and I just feel guilty lol. I think Terri has one she will be able to donate to our cause but we will just have to buy a new card thingy. Hopefully that will work out for us.
I bought the kids a video game they wanted for Valentines' Day. Trying to steer away from so much junk food and stuff. Tanner wanted this $20 three pound chocolate heart at WalMart but I talked him out of it. BUt I did at least buy them a candy bar. Took Tyler to buy shoes that mom's been gonna buy him, but he didn't find any shoes in town he wanted. So we went to converse.com and he created his own style shoe and we ordered it. Was kinda neat.
One great thing did happen this week - I found my long lost friend from Gulfport, or she found me. We were roommates in college and we've kept up with each other through the years. But when the hurricane happened, I could not find her. I posted stuff on websites looking for her, and someone she knew emailed me and told me that she was alive and ok and all that. But that was the last I heard about her til this week. She found me on Myspace lol. I'm starting to like that myspace thing. ANyway, we've been catching up and talking about visiting together soon.
My friend Micheal (Michelle) emailed me Thursday and her father had died. He used to live down the street from us for years. So this weekend we will be going to the funeral most likely.
We're supposed to have band practice on Monday and TUesday night again this week. MOnday is a day off for kids but a work day for teachers. ANd I'm considering trying to find a sub for at least one day this week if I can, to try to regain some sanity. And I missed American Idol both nights last week. Rusty says I should be proud of that. Men.....


















0 comments: