Sunday, October 19, 2008

October starts

Ok I'm finally here blogging. It's been quite a month so far, particularly quite a past week. First and foremost we lost a dear friend this week, untimely. Keith's wife Angela passed away. I mean, I don't even like typing the words, it just seems so unreal. I think she was 34 years old, 35 tops. I think most of us are all still just sitting around in shock, with the world just kinda tossed around and out of order. Don't know what else to say about it.




I don't know. It's October and it's usually my favorite time of year. Just today did it finally cool off any and we have been able to open windows and turn on the attic fan. I've been waiting for that moment for 2 months. The fresh air has been nice, and blowing out all that cigarette smell is the best thing of all. Of course, it won't all completely go out. It's permanently in my house. But getting some fresh air in is nice. I usually am decorating for Halloween by now, but I've yet to get the spirit I guess. I'm considering getting the stuff out today though. We did at least buy one new thing this year so far. I had to have it. Wal Mart had this bowl with a hand sticking out of it. When you reach in the bowl to get candy the hand grabs your hand lol. And even though I KNOW it's going to do it every single time, I STILL jump or flinch when it happens. The kids laugh at me. Here is a little video of Tanner demonstrating the Halloween hand bowl:









We were out of school that first week of October which was nice. But I was so terribly afraid of losing all the progress that we have made in the choirs at school that I scheduled rehearsals for 4 days of that week for 2 groups. I probably should have just NOT done that. But I was just worried. Very few kids actually showed up for the rehearsals anyway. But the ones that did - we did make some progress. So I guess it ended up worth it. Tanner and Tyler stayed home alone most of the days and played computer games, ate food, and trashed the house. But I guess they enjoyed their break. I have put them solely in charge of the dishes everyday for a few weeks now. They do all the dishwasher loading and unloading. I have to remind them constantly. But at least they are doing something. Soon it will be laundry. I'm just never here during the week it seems. I work kinda late and I've been trying to get back in the gym and just one thing after another. I don't cook anymore either. Today is SUnday and I made the statement that I'm in the mood to cook all day. I think folks around here are excited about that lol.

Speaking of the gym, Brooke wanted to go to the gym with me yesterday so we went. I think she likes doing the weight machines and things and she's not afraid to sit down and try to figure out what each machine does. I introduced her to the girls side of the gym, where no men or boys are allowed lol. I like it over there, but I go to the co-ed side some too especially if I have Tyler or Rusty there. Tanner went with Brooke and me also, but I didn't let him work out because the last time I did the gym owner got mad because Tanner was goofing off on the treadmill instead of doing it right. So I think he needs to mature a good bit more before he works out again lol.




Overall school is going well I guess. I'm back and forth every single day from thinking "Oh my GOD I must be CRAZY and we're NEVER going to be able to do this Madrigal Dinner and this concert" to the next day thinking "Oh, yes, we are so awesome, we're going to be able to do anything and everything with no worries". And I never can predict what kind of day I"m going to have because these teenagers throw me for a loop every single time. We will be working hard together and doing well and everyone is pleasant and excited and they think I'm the best teacher EVER and they are all best friends with each other and they have all these terrific ideas and things for several days in a row. And just when I come to expect things to always be that way, we will have a day where they all come in pissed off or lazy or "so TIRED" of this or that, and this is not how we did it LAST year, and "do we HAVE to do this today" and "OMG I can NOT work with HIM" and "in my creative opinion, I think we should do this or that" and GEEEZZZZZ. It's a total rollercoaster. And I was taking it very hard and taking it very personally at first. But I am slowly learning to not give a DARN and to tell them - in a nice way - to get over themselves.




Anyway. I hope that we are all prepared for the November concert and most of all the big Madrigal Dinner project I've bitten off. My fear is that it will end up being more than I can chew....




We played 2 weekends in a row with the band. One Saturday at the Loft and the next Saturday at a little place in Tallulah, LA. 'Twas fun both times, overall. Well, let's just leave it at that I guess. Not a whole lot to say but that we did pretty good and we made really good money and we got to get out there and see how things are gonna go for us and all. I've got some pics I'll put at the end.




Report cards came out. Tyler has all B's and C's which is SO much better than last year lol. Tanner had A's, B's, and a C or two I think. This weekend Brooke and Drew have been here with us and Tanner's been in heaven pretty much. Dustin and Cody Friday night, Drew and Brooke Saturday night.




This past week Cheryl, Lysa, Lysa's friend and I went to see STOMP in Jackson. It was awesome. It's a bunch of percussion people that play rhythms on odd things like garbage cans, inner tubes, brooms, and they even had kitchen sinks lol. We went to eat at a place called Sal and Mookie's and it was terrific. I found a new drink I like called a Mojito. Tried to reproduce it myself at home this weekend, and it was not very good lol.

For the most part we're all just still trying to balance working and life, with the working part consuming the most time these days. Time is a rare thing. I miss everybody and hate never having time to see people or talk to people. If I don't obsess over my job every waking minute, I get BEHIND on things. I'm terrified of the consequences of getting BEHIND. But hopefully soon I will learn how to keep up and still have a life.


Slaphappy, LSU and Nascar......it just don't get any better than that in Tallulah, LA! lol




Ever have something come from way back in the depths of your mind and just suddenly appear in your brain? This past week a song came in my head that to the best of my recollection I last heard on the radio at my dad's parents house when I was probably less than 8 years old. They used to listen to the old style country-gospel AM radio station. Anyway, One Day at a Time Sweet Jesus! On days when I get flustered or overwhelmed with the dozens of projects I have going at once I find I'm telling myself "just try to take it one day at a time" and I guess that has triggered the memory. I could only remember the main chorus line there. But it stuck in my head so bad I had to go and find it on the internet and it does indeed sum up my situation for this month, or YEAR for that matter!:







I'm only human, I'm just a woman.



Help me believe in what I could be And all that I am.



Show me the stairway, I have to climb.



Lord for my sake, teach me to take



One day at a time.



Chorus: One day at a time sweet Jesus



That's all I'm asking from you.



Just give me the strength



To do everyday what I have to do.



Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus



And tomorrow may never be mine.



Lord help me today, show me the way



One day at a time.



Do you remember, when you walked among men?



Well Jesus you know if you're looking below



It's worse now, than then.



Cheating and stealing, violence and crime



So for my sake, teach me to take



One day at a time.

0 comments: